Please note: SAFCA approved supervisors who are still involved in Financial Counselling casework must also comply with the national rules and have supervision from another SAFCA approved supervisor.
STEP 1 AGENCY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Agency responsibilities are outlined in the Standards for Agencies guide page, which can be accessed on the FCA Toolkit.
- Agencies must allow associate and full members access to professional supervision, as per the Standards.
STEP 2 MEMBER ASKS FOR SUPERVISION
- A SAFCA Member (Associate or Full) asks you for professional supervision.
- Check that you and that member both have your agencies’ support, if so proceed to Step 3.
STEP 3 SET EXPECTATIONS
- Supervisor and supervisee meet and discuss the Supervision Framework.
- Complete Form S1 SAFCA Professional Standards Requirements & Responsibilities
- Complete Form 2 Supervision Agreement, which is revisited regularly.
STEP 4 ONGOING SUPERVISION
- Supervisor and supervisee meet regularly (face-to-face, Internet, telephone) and formally discuss cases, self-care, stress management, learning opportunities etc.
- Complete FORM S3 Supervision Log.
STEP 5 WORKING TOWARDS LEVEL 2
- Both the supervisor and supervisee are constantly working towards the supervisee achieving Level 2 in all areas of the SAFCA Supervision Framework.
STEP 6 SUPERVISEE APPLIES FOR FULL SAFCA MEMBERSHIP
- Once the supervisee reaches Level 2 in all areas of the SAFCA Supervision Framework and has been working as a Financial Counsellor for two (2) years full time equivalent, they can apply to become a Full member.
- To do this, the supervisee must complete the M2 Application to Transition from Associate to Full Member form and the Supervisor must completethe M3 Transition to Full Membership form and provide a letter of support.